Thursday, September 22, 2016

No tears, party time is here again

I voted today!  I sent in my absentee ballot.  I realize perfectly well that this is mainly a symbolic gesture (and a damned expensive one, given shipping rates), but when  the US is reduced to a smoking, irradiated ruin by President Tangerine Shitgibbon, I want to be able to say that I did what little I could to prevent it.  Not that the roving warboys are likely to care about these fine distinctions, but still.

Also, I feel bad joking like that about apocalypses, because it just minimizes what an utter catastrophe a President Trump would be for the country and the world.  And, as Ed at Gin and Tacos pointed out, even if he DOES lose (and in spite of everything, I’m still pretty sure he’s gonna lose; it’s the only way I can sleep at night), we’re STILL going to be left with the knowledge that a bare minimum of forty percent of the country consists of a mixture of white supremacists and people who are cool with same as long as he wears the right tribal colors.  Seriously, this is EVEN in the impossibly unlikely  event that he gets blown the fuck out—Walter Mondale got forty percent of the vote in 1984 while winning one state.  I mean, what do you DO with that?  Maybe we all knew it on some level already, but the proof ain’t pretty.  How the fuck is it possible to look a Trump supporter in the eye?  I’m glad I’m living in a foreign land where I don’t need to figure that out.
The other alarming thing is that republicans are gonna look at his failed campaign and conclude that the problem wasn’t the virulent racism and malignant narcissism, but the utter lack of self-control and shambles of a ground game, and if they can make use of those “strengths” while getting rid of the weaknesses—CHA-CHING!  My only hope is that they’re actually wrong; that the lack of impulse control is an intrinsic part of Trump’s appeal, and that running a campaign like his only better organized is a contradiction in terms.  I bet a significant amount of money on that, though, and I can’t say I’m very excited about finding out for sure.

Still, I voted!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown pontificated to the effect that...

Did you write a review of Evan Dara's THE LOST SCRAPBOOK?

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home