Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pointless Dreams lead to Pointless Posts!

I had this ridiculously lame dream where I was planning a blog post where I would list all the direct quotes in Smiths songs.  Riveting!  I think I must've had this because quotes and indirect quotes were active in my brain from teaching.  Anyway, it was inevitable that this dumb dream-post would become reality.  The criterion is "direct quote that is definitively attributed to someone other than Morrissey himself."  There are a fair few bits where he quotes himself, but if you start down that road, you seriously won't know where to stop.  Slippery slope, people.  Like box turtle marriage.

Anyway, pointless compendium after the link.  Not that I've done research or anything, but I really do get the impression that they did this a lot more than most other bands.  Is that why my subconscious dredged it up?  The thought has certainly never consciously occurred to me.

"It's gruesome that someone so handsome should care."

"Give in to lust, give up to lust, oh heaven knows we'll soon be dust."

"I know my son is dead; I'll never rest my hands on his sacred head."

"Oh, wherever he has gone, I have gone."

"Oh, whatever he has done, I have done."

"Oh, find me, find me, nothing more, we are on a sullen misty moor, we may be dead and we may be gone, but we will be, we will be, right by your side, until the day you die.  This is no easy ride.  We will haunt you when you laugh, yes you could say we're a team, you might sleep, you might sleep, you might sleep but you will never dream.  Oh you might sleep but you will never dream, you might sleep but you will never dream."

"I'm starved of mirth; let's go and trip a dwarf."

"How quickly would I die if I jumped from the top of the parachutes?"

"I smoke 'cause I'm hoping for an early death and I need to cling to something."

"Eh, I know you and you cannot sing."

"Ere thrice the sun done salutation to the dawn."

"Ere long done do does did."

"Young man, get your vile soul dry-cleaned."

"Oh, I say: some girls are bigger than others, some girls are bigger than others, some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers."

"In the days when you were hopelessly poor I just liked you more."

"He never really looks at me; I give him every opportunity."

"But she doesn't even like me, and I know, because she said so."

"I'll never make that mistake again."

"Throw your skinny body down, son."

"Throw your white body down."

"Would you like to marry me?  And if you like you can buy the ring."

"You've been in the house too long."

"I know a place where we can go where we are not known."

"Stretch out and wait, stretch out and wait, let your puny body lie down."

"Will the world end in the night time?  I really don't know.  Or will the world end in the daytime?  I really don't know.  And is there any point ever having children?  Oh, I don't know.  All I do know is we're here and it's now."

"Oh, oh, smother me mother."

"There's too much caffeine in your bloodstream and a lack of real spice in your life."

"Has the perrier gone straight to my head, or is life sick and cruel instead?"

"I knew him first, and I knew him well."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home