Tuesday, September 15, 2009

He totally became the hero of all the aspiring pirates.

There's an interesting article in last week's New Yorker about the economics of piracy--actual, arr-type, seventeenth-eighteenth-century piracy. And in this article, a pirate about to be executed is quoted as follows:

"Yes," one declared on the gallows, "I do heartily repent. I repent I had not done more Mischief."

Say what you will about the ethics of the whole enterprise--that is one badass pirate. I guess if you're going to be hanged anyway, there's no reason not to go out with some totally awesome last words.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kaitlyn pontificated to the effect that...

I love that Mischief is capitalized.

As it should be.

Seriously, you're a college professor or something, what is Up with the Random capitalizations in Old Tyme Writing?

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

I thought they only capitalized nouns? Maybe it's some kind of Germanic thing.

SK

10:37 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

Some nouns, but not all. This is far from my area (although this goes on a lot in Mason & Dixon), but I think it might have something to with whether the noun could in some abstract way be personified. Do not quote me on that, however.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home