Saturday, September 20, 2008

Revenge of Feminist Nightmares in Student Writing

Same student:

The Bible is my main source of how I create my moral values and basic lessons of life. It is stated clearly many times in The Bible the different responsibilities each gender poses. The men are responsible for providing for the family and the women should honor and obey their husbands, while also taking care of the children and the home . . . This traditional idea of how a family should act of look like has been lost on today's younger generations, mostly by feminist women and the media. Feminist force into young girls minds that they are just as good or superior to the male sex . . . The media helps this cause by having such a liberal bias.

You have to wonder what exactly she's doing in college. Going for her MRS degree, presumably.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

See, this is the problem with the whole idea of letting students "discuss their own interpretations" in undergraduate classes. They get encouraged to do it from the day they arrive (are you teaching a freshman literature course?), and flattered into thinking that their opinions matter, when they still have no clue how to analyze something, or even how to make coherent arguments. It opens one up to scores of half-assed, tiresome rants from the genre of "I watched several programs on Fox News and read a book by Jonah Goldberg, and my professor is biased because he gave me a B."

Fortunately, in math classes, I can still rule with an iron fist. I wish you the same good fortune!

- SK

9:53 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

Just a boring ol' comp course, I'm afraid. I'm praying to get a lit course in the spring, but there are no guarantees. The essay was supposed to be about how one's perceptions of gender roles have developed, so it's hard to argue with, even if it's kinda crazy, but yeesh...

In other news, it turns out you teach math! Like my brother! Who knew? Is this at a college level?

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

Well, in the past few years, I changed my emploi. Now I do research in applied probability, and teach it occasionally. So, it is at a college level.

Your brother is a mathematician? I was under the impression that your whole family was geared toward the liberal arts.

SK

2:00 AM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

I have two brothers, one of whom turns out to be some sort of math savant. Where he gets it from is anybody's guess.

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home