Tuesday, November 06, 2007

New Chick Tract!

Here. There's nothing all THAT special about it, but I think it has a kind of low-key charm. I really dig all the little demons coming and going every whichway, and I LOVE the demon with reading glasses towards the end.

Other observations:

"People who think [America] is there [in the Bible] are only guessing!" Then, three panels later, we're directed to Bible verses that allegedly talk about the United Nations. Huh.

Is this the first mention of the rapture in a Chick tract? I think ChickCo is a little late trying to jump on the Left Behind bandwagon.

How come evangelicals NEVER give me Chick tracts, dammit? I CONSTANTLY get these lame little text-only things about how I need to accept Jesus to avoid hell, but NEVER the real deal. How the hell am I supposed to escape damnation like this?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger :-| pontificated to the effect that...

I wish JackfuckingevangelicalChick would choke on his cartoon Gospel rag under some bleachers out in the sun out on Highway 61.

3:15 AM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

Interestingly, maybe, I'm listening to that very album as I read your comment. But I gotta disagree with you, man. Jack Chick is a national treasure. His work has provided me endless pleasure.

1:41 PM  
Blogger :-| pontificated to the effect that...

...and I know you mean it in a good way. I too often find that overt religious text and it's related glyphs bring soothing annointments to my naked, shallow bitterness. My hollow platitudes of compassion. It allows me to cope with the gangerene in my heart as I lay dying thus brightening the otherwise malodorous world of my own conjuring. But in this case, I'd have to make an exception.

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

"Jack Chick is a national treasure. His work has provided me endless pleasure."

Hey, that rhymes!

- SK

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

One especially interesting thing about this tract is the insistence that America will be destroyed in the end times. He even cautiously introduces an argumentative exchange between the end times preacher and a patriotic guy who refers to America's greatness.

You'll also recall that good ole Fred Phelps has recently adopted an anti-patriotic, anti-military platform. Could Chick (or his writers) be radicalizing in a similar manner? And if so, will this alienate their core audience, if they have one?

- SK

1:43 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

I'm not sure. When you look at Chick Tracts in comparison to each other, what you end up with is pretty philosophically garbled. I don't get the impression that there's a Central HQ where they coordinate these things; I think they're just written as they come into Jack's (or his ghostwriters') head(s). I think I'd need more evidence to issue a verdict on this.

Pleasure/Treasure: a rhyme used in a Depeche Mode song, and, probably more appropriately, The Decemberists' [sic] eighteen-minute "Tain." I don't know what it's doing here, but someone should definitely set my comment to music.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home