Saturday, January 20, 2007

Senseless observations

I was listening to Stan Ridgway (formerly of Wall of Voodoo, AS IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW!), and I noticed that he has a disproportionate number of songs with women's names in the titles:

Susie Before Sunrise
Valerie Is Sleeping
Whistle for Louise
Peg and Pete and Me
Calling Out to Carol
Uba's House of Fashions
Wake Up Sally (the cops are here)
My Rose Marie
Nadine

Nine. By comparison, I count the same number by Tom Waits, who has had a much longer and more prolific career:

Alice
Martha
Rosie
Muriel
Ruby's Arms
Georgia Lee
Annie's Back in Town
Buzz Fledderjon
Jayne's Blue Wish

Given Waits' output, I could easily be missing something here.

From Leonard Cohen, we get a measly six:

Dear Heather
Suzanne
So Long, Marianne
Seems so Long Ago, Nancy
Joan of Arc
Alexandra Leaving

Still, given his non-prolficiliciousness, that's better than it looks.

Nick Cave surprises me with a full eight:

Cassiel's Song
Little Janey's Gone
The Ballad of Robert Moore & Betty Coltrane
Christina the Astonishing
Crow Jane
Deanna
Watching Alice
Lucy

Again, I may be missing something. I think he would easily win if we were counting names mentioned IN songs--BUT WE'RE NOT! SUCK IT, NICK!

I could go on, but I'm bored of this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home