Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Why did no one inform me of this?

So Ayn as in Rand actually rhymes with "mine." That blows my mind. I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce it that way, and one would think that if *everyone* (except you smartasses, no doubt) pronounced it the non-intuitive way, that would be because there was something to it. Apparently not. My illusions are dissed. She shoulda just stuck with her original name, although I suppose all that will-to-power stuff might seem kind of awkward from someone so blatantly Jewish.

SEGUE!

Speaking of who is and isn't a Jew: my (Jewish) girlfriend has a fascination with whether or not various famous people are. So I was doing poking around on the internets, and found this extremely helpful site: Jew Watch! In spite of the claim that "this is NOT a hate site," it's pretty clearly thinly-veiled neo-nazi stuff. Not quite on the level of stormwatch or godhatesfags, but still pretty damned unsavory. However--and maybe this is partly because I feel as though, compared to our other bigotries, anti-semitism is pretty limited in the US--I mainly just find it hilarious.

The title is hilarious, for one. Can't you just picture very serious men in black with binoculars and walkie-talkies hiding in the bushes outside UJC centers, furiously taking notes? Look! There one is! Quick! Tag it so we can study its migration patterns!

The fact that it looks like a fifteen-year-old's geocities page circa 1997 is pretty funny. Seriously, I was all set to take them seriously...but something about the design somehow plants seeds of doubt in my mind.

The compare-and-contrast pictures of Josef Stalin and Dustin Hoffman. I'm not sure what this proves, but I nonetheless find it Troubling.

The headline above the title: "Frank Weltner, M.A. English & Certified Librarian
Presents His Famous Scholarly Library of Factual Links Known Around the World" No shit? A certified librarian? Factual links known around the world? Are we sure "Frank Weltner" isn't actually John Hodgman?

I could go on, but I think I've said enough. Also, it gets sort of depressing to poke around this stuff for too long. Still, I hope this has helped you to see the Lighter Side of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion (I think Dave Berg wrote about that in Mad Magazine a while ago).

UPDATE: It did occur to me that this could be an elaborate scam designed to discredit critics of Israeli policy. But I think I'm still going with the "crazy people" theory for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home