Monday, June 12, 2006

Wow! Dead people!

Man, why must we always go through this? So Zarqawi's dead. Okay. From all I've heard, the man was a monster. I'm not shedding any tears. But man. This seemingly requisite ritual we go through where, regardless of our feelings on the war as a whole, we're meant to go, "awright! We got the sumbitch! Awesome news, dudes! Party time!"? Well. You know. Sorry, but this sporadically-updated left-wing webblog doesn't roll like that. Even if we pretend that a lot of this celebratory behavior isn't just a pretext to glorify bloodlust in a socially-sanctioned manner--I still don't find it particularly savory. Some people got killed. By bombs. That we dropped. And frankly, regardless of the circumstances, I think that celebrating violent death is spiritually poisonous. Whether or not I actually subscribe the quasi-religious terms in which I put that--it's how I feel. And that is one of the many reasons I will never be elected to high government office. Secular left blah blah moral relativism blah blah empty self-righteousness supporting the terrorists blah. Ya know...fuck all that noise.

On the same note, Michael Berg is some kind of hero. He's morally evolved in a way most of us can only dream of being.
It seems pretty clear that the people in whom he evokes a violent reaction recognize on some level how small and contemptible he makes their own behavior look. I'm not always optimistic, but let's hope human evolution is moving more in his direction than in theirs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home