Thursday, April 06, 2006

Random ELEVEN!!!!!1111one1

'Cause it's time to shake things up a bit!

01. Mazedude, “Rygar on Rhodopa Mountain”
Anybody who’s ever played Rygar must surely remember the epic tune from the first section. This is a remix of that, and it’s pretty great. 8/10

02. Blood or Whiskey, “Stuck Together”
BoW is definitely a very minor force in Celtic punk. Still. I feel like a more forceful production could have improved this one (as with a lot of their stuff), but it’s not bad. 7/10

03. Johnny Dowd, “Brother Jim”
Meh. Dowd kinda lost me after The Pawnbroker’s Wife. I can see the appeal here, but it doesn’t excite me too much. 5/10

04. The Stone Roses, “All Across the Sands”
Early thing from before they really got their act together; not bad, but not notably fantastic. 5/10

05. Roxy Music, “More than This”
I don’t love Roxy Music, but this is a kind of good torch song. 7/10

06. Tom Waits, “Long Way Home”
From some soundtrack. Subdued and poignant. 8/10

07. The Clash, “London Calling”
Now get this! 10/10

08. The Velvet Underground, “European Son”
I must admit, I find the atonal cacophony strangely magnetic. 7/10

09. 16 Horsepower, “Bad Moon Rising”
As you’d expect from 16HP, this CCR cover is suitably ominous and apocalyptic. 9/10

10. Aesop Rock, “Alchemy”
I like Aesop Rock. His vocal mannerisms and stream-of-consciousness lyrics make for a very atmospheric mix. Yeah. This one is good. 8/10

11. Squeeze, “Is that Love?”
There’s no denying that Squeeze have produced some of the most infectious pop tunes around. And this is one of them. 8/10

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

I knew the Stone Roses had it then lost it, but didn't know they were lagging before the much-acclaimed debut. You've been informative, Mr. Inchoatia!

I remember first listening to the Roses debut thinking "eh" cause I think I was suffering from the hype, but John Squire is still the guitar man, even if Ian Brown can't sing very well. I'll argue that the best Stone Roses songs is "Love Spreads"...even if it's from the second album.

8:33 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. pontificated to the effect that...

Yeah, the messiah is my sister--that's a good song. I'd probably vote, rather boringly, for "I Am the Resurrection."

The first Roses CD I owned was called The Complete Stone Roses, though I don't know in what sense it was meant to be "complete," since it featured what seemed like a pretty miscellaneous selection of singles and b-sides and whatnot. Plus, truncated radio versions of "Resurrection," "Fools' Gold," and "One Love." Oh boy. Still, some good stuff unavailable elsewhere.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home