Friday, August 26, 2005

Random Ten

Whoa, almost forgot. I've had a lot on my mind. And today I went on a fucking HARDCORE nine-mile hike. I swear, the final half-mile-or-so assent may well have been the most strenuous exercise I've ever gotten in my life. Anyway. Here we go.

1. Calexico, "The Ride (pt.2)"
A live version of one of the highlights of their second album, Black Light. I honestly have to give the nod to the studio version here, but it's a good, dramatic song either way. 7/10

2. The Verve, "The Rolling People"
Nice. Very hypnotic. 8/10

3. Ceili Moss, "As Far As the Eye Can See"
Quebecois Celtic music! Great musicianship; fun song. 8/10

4. Buck 65, "Cries a Girl"
AKA, "STEEEEELLLLAAA!!!" This song originally appeared as part of one of the tracks on Square; this is a re-recorded version from a recent overview released allegedly to introduce the artist to les americains maudits. The song itself is great, haunting, etc. This version--not so much, unfortunately. It's a shame, but it just doesn't have the same effect as the original version. 6/10

5. Suede, "Weight of the World"
A b-side from somewhere-or-other; the mp3's "info" section is barren. But it must be one of the Head Music singles, because there are only three songs (four, if you count Brian Eno's ridiculous fifteen-minute remix of "Introducing the Band")--"Dolly," "Painted People," and "Asda Town"--that weren't included on Sci-Fi Lullabies, and I never cared enough to acquire the ones from New Morning. It's important to know these things! Um...yeah. Better than the Blur b-side in this list, but not by much. Uninspiring. 4/10

6. Elvis Costello, "Really Big Nothing"
This goes together with "Town Called Big Nothing." Together, they form a super-fun, slightly tongue-in-cheek spaghetti western pastiche. They come from the out-of-print Rykodisc release of Blood and Chocolate; I'm not sure where if anywhere they currently reside. 8/10

7. Blur, "Get Out of Cities"
Yeah, um. This was a b-side of the hated "Song 2," apparently. Seriously, I don't know what this damn thing is doing here. Well, yes I do: there was a time when I wanted to have every Blur track ever. But this really ain't much cop. 3/10

8. Madness, "New Delhi"
One of the band's better album tracks. 7/10

9. Khalal, "Final Fantasy 6 DevilsLab Acid"
Decent, if short, rendition of the ever-popular Vector factory music. 6/10

10. Pulp, "This House Is Condemned"
Pulp does acid house? Yup: an unexpected but *very* effectively creepy little number courtesy of erstwhile violinist Russell Senior, that closes their third album, Separations. 9/10

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

Well, I think it's eminently clear that Blur will never return to the way they were ten years ago ever again, but I have to say, I've been really digging the newest Gorillaz album. It is nothing like Blur, but it is a pretty damn awesome electronic album.

- SK

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

I like Blur. Really, I do. But a lot of it has gotten annoying as the years go on. I do still enjoy "Parklife" and some songs from "Modern Life Is Rubbish," but I'll tell you what....Oasis? Their songs never get old :P

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pontificated to the effect that...

And I forgot to add...The Verve? Awesome. Absolutely awesome. "Urban Hymns" is still one of my favorite albums, and "A Northern Soul" isn't too bad either. Richard Ashcroft is a genius, despite sharing his last name with the scary former Attorney General who shall not be named.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home