Friday, August 12, 2005

Random Ten

Late-night list! Shakin' things up a little! It's absolute sheer bloody madness here, is what it is.

01. Gordon Bok, “Mr. Eneos”
It cannot be overstated how unbelievably great this song is. I cannot do it justice. Go listen. 10/10

02. Squeeze, “Messed Around”
Not one of your more exciting Squeeze songs. Although the music does remind me of the Auction House in Final Fantasy VI. 5/10

03. Salty Dog, “Reflections”
I think this might actually be an original, a rarity for this band. And it's really, really good, too: heartfelt, tragic love. 8/10

04. Duran Duran, “Last Chance on the Stairway”
Eh, it's all right. I mean, what can you say? What you'd expect. 6/10

05. Tom Waits, “Table-Top Joe”
Lyrics about a guy with no body or head or anything: he's just a set of hands. But he gains fame and fortune as a piano player in a circus! Huzzah! 8/10

06. Bok, Muir & Trickett “Three Score and Ten”
Cheery song about fuckloads of sailors drowning. Beautiful song with, as usual, beautiful singing. 9/10

07. ABBA, “Super Trooper”
I sort of suspect that the “inspiration” for this song was the fact that these two words rhymed. I'd like to pretend to be too cool to like this song, but I just can't do it. In spite of the fact that the line “feeling like a number one” sounds kind of scatological to me. 7/10

08. Joe Jackson, “It's Different for Girls”
No, not love she said...one of Jackson's three most well-known songs, I suppose, along with “Steppin' Out” and “Is She Really Going Out With Him?” Out of these three, it's probably my least favorite. But I still like it a lot. 8/10

09. The Prodigals, “Out of Mind”
Tonight just happens to be one of those times, I just can't get you out of my mind. A real classic: both irresistably catchy and possessed of strong emotional resonance. 9/10

10. Manic Street Preachers, “Yourself”
The second-best song from Gold Against the Soul! 8/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home