Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Casey's Last Ride

So I went to a candlelight vigil in support of Cindy Sheehan this evening. What did this accomplish? Very little, no doubt, but it was the least I could do. I mean, literally: short of sitting and staring at the wall in a catatonic state, it would have been physically impossible to do less. There were somewhere in the area of fifty to sixty people in attendance, which is pretty good for a conservative podunk like Williamsport. And thankfully, none of the guys who typically show up to heckle people who protest against all that good old-fashioned american killin' made an appearance.

I don't know; I sometimes like to believe that there IS some sort of intangible karmic force at work--that concentrated feelings of love and compassion, be they ever so obscure, can nonetheless help to alter the national mood. At any rate, I see no downside to believing so. Let's all hope and pray that Ms. Sheehan's protest turns out to be the straw that breaks the shit out of the insane, bloodthirsty camel's back.

Update,08/18: Ha ha--there having been a Sun-Duhzette photographer at the event, my picture is on the front page of today's paper. I hope I don't let this sudden fame go to my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home