Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Onion is mythologically illiterate.

Ah, Lloyd Schumner Sr, my old arch-nemesis...we meet again.

In this week's horoscope:

Pisces: (Feb. 19—March 20)
You used to compare yourself to Icarus, but you're less likely to do so now that you know he once helped a woman cheat on her husband by having sex with a cow.

When I first saw this, I thought, what? The fact that they generalize the story to make it sound goofier meant that at first I missed the reference--but that would not have happened if they'd named the RIGHT MYTHOLOGICAL FIGURE. It's Daedalus who built the wooden cow. Not Icarus. Sheesh. And it doesn't help that the phrasing makes it sound like it's Icarus [sic] who was having sex with the cow, either. I thought at first that that might have been intentional, since it's such a clumsy, obvious mistake, but that really doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you think about it.

Sorry to nitpick, but...nitpicking is what I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home